Friday 12 December 2014

Fear of Missing Out: A.K.A The Books You Need to Read While It's Still 2014!

Ah, end of year lists. I love them. And I want to be able to do right by them. That means reading ALL THE BOOKS. If you want your end of year favourites list to be up to scratch, then you need to read EVERYTHING.  My lists are always a little incomplete. I frequently miss out on the big releases. Like Fangirl. Oh, and like that time I missed out on Divergent and didn't read it for a whole year after it released. Yeah, what was that about? I mean, my end of year list for that year is now completely redundant, because Divergent surely would have made that list. 

So, I've compiled a list of this years 'must read' books - the books that will be making every, or at least most of those end of year lists. I'm pretty sure I've missed out on a few, so if you have any books to add, let me know in comments.

What was your must read of 2014?





To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
At the time of writing, this is so far my favourite book of 2014. Jenny Han just gets it right every time, and To All the Boys I've Loved Before is pretty much perfect. If you only read one YA contemp, then make it this one. Oh....but you should read...

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
...too. I loved Isla. Another one of my 2014 faves. This is a must read for me, and if you haven't started on this series of books yet, then you are in for a treat. And you are also missing out. ANNA is still my favourite, but this is a close second. I would flirt with Etienne, sure, but I think I'd date Josh.

Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
Another Contemp. I know! I KNOW. I went a little contemp crazy this year, maybe. Oh, but 2014 had so many great contemp releases. Also, we actually had a summer. And YA contemps and sunshine, well, they go together like,well,  they go together like Reagan O' Neill and Matt Finch. If you didn't get that, then you really need to read this book. It's my favourite debut of 2014. A winner.

I know this list is already too contemp-heavy, but that's basically what I read this year. If you have any paranormal, fantasy or dystopian fiction to add to the list, then just go right ahead. 

We Were Liars by E.Lockhart
Here's one you definitely need to read for your end of year lists. Now, We Were Liars didn't totally work for me - I think all that hype ruined it for me just a little - but I can guarantee this one will be making a whole lot of end-of-year lists. Also, the writing is just lovely.

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Disclaimer; I haven't actually read I'll Give You the Sun (yet!) but I think it's worthy of a place on this list maybe purely because of the pre-publication buzz it generated, but also because of the great reviews it's been garnering since it's release. I remember back when I first started blogging everyone was going crazy for Jandy Nelson's debut novel - The Sky is Everywhere - and people are going similarly crazy for this one!

The Secret Place by Tana French
In my quest to find the next Gone Girl (nope, haven't found it yet) I've been reading a lot more grown up reads this year. I've read a lot of good mysteries and thrillers in 2014 - one of my best I've read this year was In the Blood by Lisa Unger, but I haven't yet read The Secret Place by Tana French. I need to get to it in the next couple of weeks, because this book sounds so good. So, so, so good. And it's making all the end of year lists. Who knows -it might make mine too!

Little Lies/Big Little Lies (US Title) by Liane Moriarty
I didn't LOVE Liane Moriarty's The Husband's Secret so I didn't rush to read this one. However, Little Lies has been getting great reviews and I hear that Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon are to star in a TV show of the book. I'll probably check out the TV show. Which means that I have to read the book too. It's also been making a lot of 'best of' lists this year.

Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Rainbow Rowell's novels always generate such hype! Fangirl didn't really live up to that hype for me, I'm hoping this adult offering might be more up my street, although I've been told by quite a few people that Eleanor & Park is the Rainbow Rowell book for me.


What was your favourite book of 2014?  So far, Jenny Han is leading the race for me, but I really need to get to The Secret Place, Say Her Name by James Dawson and The Retribution of Mara Dyer in the next few weeks, just so I don't miss them off any lists if they should make the cut!

13 comments :

  1. ChristinaBookAddict12 December 2014 at 13:14

    So, I was typing up my favorite list yesterday and this is pretty much it. It's so funny how we have the same taste. I love that you LOVE Jenny Han as well. You know how much I am obsessed with her! Open Road Summer is on my list as well (thanks to your recommendation) and Isla! I also haven't read I'll Give You the Sun, but I probably should. We Were Liars is on EVERYONE's list, but I didn't love it enough for it to be on my "Best Of" list. I agree though…the writing is outstanding. I still need to read Landline and Fangirl. Too many books….not enough time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the Retribution of Mara Dyer in the mail and am very excited to read it. I completely agree, Jenny Han's TATBILB WAS AMAZING. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Landline and All the Boys I've Loved. I love Rainbow's love stories, and I've heard great things about Jenny!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't crazy about The Husband's Secret either, but I really enjoyed her book What Alice Forgot. Big Little Lies seems to be getting a positive response so it's on my to-read list too! Also, I haven't read Landline but I *can* recommend Attachments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good you do this, gives ideas to other book enthusiasts, I'm doing the same sort of thing if anyone would care to take a look

    http://thedayinthelifeof.blog.com/wp-admin/?c=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. We Were Liars didn't make my end of year top ten either -but I had to include it here because most EVERYONE I know loved it. Didn't really work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I can't wait to read the Retribution. Love Noah Shaw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To All the Boys is 100% cute! I haven't read Landline yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must check out Attachments. I have a copy of What Alice Forgot somewhere in my book pile (I think!) so I'll have to dig it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh there is loads of room for inspiration here, thanks!

    I've done my top 5 for Christmas - maybe one of them will catch your eye!

    http://thesignorina.com/2014/12/13/5-must-read-books-for-this-christmas/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got Eleanor and Park so I'm making my way down the Rainbow list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read that one too! A few people have told me that's the Rainbow Rowell book I'll like best so I have to get to it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats